Lawyer John M. Phillips Knows The Laws... Even Weird Ones.
- Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
- It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.
- Waking a sleeping bear to take a photograph is prohibited.
- In Tombstone, AZ, it is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling. In other words, you need at least one tooth.
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
- Women may not drive in a house coat.
- Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
- A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
- It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
- Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
- In Miami Beach, no pigs at the beach. Sec. 10-7. Keeping swine within city prohibited. It shall be prohibited for any person to have in his possession, control, management or custody any swine within the city. (Code 1964, § 4-6.8.
- •In Galesburg, Illinois, there is a $1,000 dollar fine for beating rats with baseball bats. RATS with BATS.
- •It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.
- •Liquor stores may not sell milk.
- •In South Bend, Indiana, it is illegal to make a monkey smoke a cigarette.
- One-armed piano players must perform for free.
- It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.
- If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking “at a woman in that way.” A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a “pair of horse-blinders” wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
- It is against the law to throw a ball at someone’s head for fun.
- A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
- Beer and pretzels can’t be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.
- It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
- In Paulding, Ohio, a policeman may bite a dog to quiet him.
- A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.
- It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
- It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don’t need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
- It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
- It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.
- A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
- The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
- In Port Authur, Texas, obnoxious odors may not be emitted in an elevator.
- Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
- Roadkill MAY be taken home for supper.
- You must manually flush all urinals in a building.
- Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.